Wine Private Tour (6hrs)
This outstanding wine tour gives you the opportunity to visit four traditional wineries and learn all the well-hidden secrets of the famous Santorini’s wine production. Our first destination is the Boutari Winery which is one of the high prized estates of the Boutari family.
First opened in 1989, and it has a played a major role in the viticulture development of the island and commercial development of Santorini wines worldwide. Boutari has helped raise the qualitative standards required for the production of Santorini’s PDO wines.
The most impressive feature of the island’s vineyards is the unique way the vines are cut back into a shape resembling a basket, a technique developed by the local vine-growers to protect the fruit from the fierce sea winds blowing throughout the year.
We continue our fantastic journey to wine to Venetsanos Winery “Formed Into Nature Where The Sky Meets The Sea And The Earth Greets Life Force” The winery is located in the most breathtaking location offering incredible vistas over the caldera and volcanic islands. It was built in 1947 by Venetsanos family and became the first industrial winery on the island. The winery was built in an unconventional manner constructed from above and moving downwards. You will be able to take a detailed tour of the winery from our expert staff while also tasting some of our enchanted wines.
Our next destination is Gavalas Winery. This unique winery has a really long tradition in wine making for more than three centuries. Following the long-standing tradition and experience of three centuries, the Gavalas family has been carrying out the vinification of the islands indigenous varieties aiming to introduce wines of superior quality and unique characteristics for the worldwide market place..
For our final visit you can choose between two of the most famous wineries.
- The first is Artemis Karamolegos Winery that has its roots in the volcanic soil of Santorini and with tradition that goes back to 1952. The winery of Artemis Karamolegos is one of the most dynamic and rapidly evolving wineries of Santorini. All its wines have been distinguished in several important International Wine Competitions. The winery uses the latest technology for wine production, special areas for wine testing and a shop for wines and selected local products.
- The second is Argyros Estate, was founded in 1903 by George Argyros. The winery was completely renovated by his grandson, Yiannis, into one of the largest estates on Santorini, with more than 30 hectares of vineyards today. Argyros Estate combines the ancient traditions of Santorini together with the latest in modern wine technology to produce some of the most highly awarded wines on the island. Their wines feature a wide variety of native grapes including, Assyrtiko, Athiri, Aidani, Mandilaria and Mavrotragano.
The main grape variety grown in Santorini is Assyrtiko, an indigenous white variety one of the noblest in the Mediterranean. Assyrtiko is a multi-talented grape variety that can give many different products. Assyrtiko is almost the 80% of the total production of Santorini’s vineyards. Along with the other two major white varieties of the vineyard, Athiri and Aidani, produces the Appellation of Origin Santorini Superior Quality white wine (P.D.O).
- 6-hour sightseeing led by an English speaking wine expert guide.
- Comfort of touring in a private deluxe air-conditioned vehicle.
- Inside knowledge and personalized attention from your guide.
- Visit four of the most traditional wineries dotted around the picturesque island.
- Learn about the unique viticulture that exists for centuries.
- Explore the cellars and learn the secrets of how the wine is bottled and matured.
- Sample up to 12 different types of wine such as Assyrtiko, Nychteri and Vinsanto.
- Enjoy a platter of local cheese and olives alongside wine-tastings.
- Enjoy unforgettable cliff views of the island away from the crowds.
- Admire the breathtaking countryside.
- Pickup and drop-off at your hotel or Fira Town( Cruise ship port).
- 6-hour private tour of Santorini with English speaking wine expert local guide.
- Transport by air-conditioned modern Mercedes-Benz mini van.
- Visit 4 fabulous wineries featured in awarded wine magazines.
- Wine-tasting of up to 12 different types of wine at a traditional winery. (Optional, upon alcohol consumption)
- All tasting fees, admissions and taxes.
- Cable car tickets for cruise ship visitors (€ 6.00 per person/per ride).
- Meals and beverages not listed as inclusions.
- Personal expenses.
The tour can accommodate 1-8 guests, the rate is total, not per person. For more than 8 people, please contact us for a custom rate.
The tour is private and ideal for visitors willing to explore Santorini.